Crock Pot Sugarless Apple Butter & Other Goodies

**This post has been very popular over the years. Please read this post for a great recipe and then head over to this post for 2011's updated version of the recipe.

I am down to my last few apples. I have had hundreds of apples come through my kitchen this fall; most of which became apple butter. I found a great way to make apple butter that is easy and healthy. It took some trial and error but here's what I did;





1. Wash, peel, and core enough apples to fill up your crock pot.
2. Add a dash of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg (really add whatever you like!)
3. Put a splash of apple cider over the apples so that it makes a thin layer on the bottom of the crock pot. This will keep the apples from burning.
4. Cook on low for a LONG time. I have a big crock pot and usually have mine cooking for a good 18-24 hours. You want the apples to not only cook but slowly cook for a long time to create a depth of flavor and natural sweetness.
5. After they have finished cooking, turn off heat and cool a bit. Put apples into a blender and mix until super smooth and "buttery".
6. At this point you could freeze some or can it or just run some over to the neighbors and share your bounty!

Enjoy!

This week I made some oatmeal rolls that were great with the apple butter. I also made homemade graham crackers ( you gotta "google" a recipe for them and try them.) You won't be disappointed...